Below are all of our frequently asked questions as well as our adoption policies. Please read over this carefully prior to filling out an adoption application, or emailing us with questions. If a question you have is not answered here, feel free to contact us.
The first step in adopting with us is to check our "Adopt Now" page to see if we have anything currently in stock. If our Adopt Now page says "No Rats Currently Available", this means that we do not currently have any rats available for adoption. We keep our website up to date at all times, so if there are no rats listed, please check back at a later time, or subscribe to our blog to be notified of new listings.
Once you have chosen your rat(s), click the button at the top of the page that says "Adoption Application" to fill out our adoption form. The link will not allow you to submit a form if we do not currently have any babies available, as we close responses in between litters.
Once the adoption form has been submitted, we will review the application. If you are approved, we will reach out to collect payment. We require all payment up front and in full via PayPal in order to hold your chosen rat(s) until pickup. It is important that you be ready to pay the fee at the time of application, as we only allot a 1 hour window to submit payment after approval.
Rats will not be held or removed from the website until payment is received. If the payment is not received within 1 hour of the payment prompt being sent, the application will be denied, the rat(s) will remain listed as available on our website, or offered to the next applicant in the case of double applications.
We do not currently accept any other forms of payment outside of Paypal. This includes money orders, checks, Venmo, CashApp, etc. Adoption fees are non-refundable. This is to ensure no false adoptions or reservations occur.
Note: Due to the current pandemic, we are no longer accepting cash and will not be until further notice.
No. We do not work with waiting lists of any kind as this has caused multiple issues for both WGR, and our potential adopters. We adopt out on a first come first serve basis only.
For rat(s) that are listed as "Available to Reserve" - meaning that they are at least 5 weeks old, but not yet 6 weeks old - pick up must be within 7 days of their listed "Adoption Day", the date of which will be listed with each rat in their photos. For rats that are listed as "Available Now", pickup must be within 7 days of payment confirmation for said rats.
If you fail to pickup on time, your adoption will be forfeit and the rat(s) will be relisted. Payment will not be refunded due to failure to pick up within the allotted time frame, or if you decide to cancel the adoption for any reason after the fee has been paid. This is to avoid false adoptions and to ensure that every rat is placed to a forever home in a timely manner.
No. We open reservations for all of our babies on or about the day they turn 5 weeks old, and only if they have passed their final temperament check and evaluation. As such, we do not guarantee that anyone will receive the rats that they may be interested in from pictures on social media prior to this date.
No. As we are a closed Rattery, we do not allow adopters into our home in order to choose their babies. This is to ensure the health and safety of our rats. We submit global serology panels annually to ensure that all of our rats are virus free. By allowing outside interaction with them, this exposes them to the risk of viruses, especially if the potential adopters already have rats in their home from an untested source.
Due to this policy, we post all information and updates for upcoming litters, as well as availability, online. These updates can be found on our website and our Facebook / Instagram, and all adoptions must be completed digitally prior to pickup. We are more than happy to answer any questions regarding type, variety, personality, ect. about the rat via chat/email - however we will not allow you to meet the rats ahead of time. This policy will not change in the future.
No. We only adopt out in same sex pairs. The reason for this is due to the fact that the rat would be alone in quarantine for certain number of weeks - which can cause psychological damage to them, being social animals. Another reason for this is that it will be easier for your new rats to transition into your current colony if they have a cage mate that they have already bonded with accompanying them. This is known as the "trust system" and will cause them to be less nervous and stressed while being integrated into their new home.
We also do not condone the keeping of lone rats for any reason, so even if you do not have a current colony, we still would only adopt out to you in same-sex pairs.
No. There are several reasons why we may deny your application or why you may not receive your chosen rats.
1. If we determine that your home may not be a suitable match for our rats based on your application responses, we will reach out to let you know our concerns. We will provide information to you and help you try and correct whatever issues we may see, however if a lack of willingness to make adjustments is shown, you will receive a denial of application letter and your application will be closed.
2. If you fill out our form and we determine that you would be a good match for our babies, but you fail to provide steady communication (or cease to respond when prompted), the rats in question will be relisted to the public, or sold to the next interested party.
3. If you fail to arrive for your appointment without notifying us ahead of time (no call/no show), this will result in a cancellation of adoption and no refund will be given.
4. If we receive an application, begin the adoption process, and feel at any time that your correspondence becomes inappropriate, disrespectful, nefarious, fraudulent, or threatening in nature, we reserve the right to cancel the adoption at any stage regardless of payment status. In the case of improper conduct post-payment, a refund will not be given.
No. We do not offer refunds for any reason. This is to avoid failed/false reservations. It is not only us that these failed reservations affect, but the rats as a whole. The adoption fees go back to the rats in the Rattery to feed and house our residents and our litters. We make no profit. When an adopter fails to show for a reservation it prohibits the rat from finding its forever home. Please ensure that you are ready and able to complete your adoption prior to making your payment.
This is to determine the experience level and knowledge of the person adopting from us. We want to make sure that any and all questions are answered, all correct information is given, and any misconceptions are cleared up prior to picking up your rat(s). We want to make sure that the process of caring for your new babies is as easy and stress free as possible, and also that the rats have the best quality of life possible.
This is to ensure that our rats are given the best quality of life possible, and to ensure that they are not flipped, unethically bred, or otherwise mistreated.
Yes. We are tested and have been cleared of all actionable viruses (including Sendai, Hanta/Seoul, and SDAV). Our most recent test was completed January 2020 and the results can be found in our blog, or you can email us and we would be happy to email you a copy.
No. All adoptions must be picked up, curb-side, at our location in Stone Mountain, Ga.
It is important that you ensure the ability to care for your new rats prior to adopting. This is usually a 2-3 year commitment. If you find yourself unable to care for your new rats after adoption, the rats must first be offered back to Whispering Grove Rattery at the owner's expense. We will only take the rats back if they have not been exposed to any rats that did not come from our rattery.
In the case of exposure to other non-house-bred rats, we will assist you in rehoming your rats to an approved owner and we will allow you to charge a rehoming fee no more than the original price paid. This is to ensure that none of our rats are flipped for profit, or given to a new home that will not provide them with a valuable quality of life.
No. We do not allow people into our homes as we are a closed rattery. This is for the safety of our rats and other pets. This policy may change in the future, but for now, all pickups will be done on our property, but outside of our home.
No. As we perform regular serology panels and have a clean bill of health, we do not allow outside rats into our homes to avoid the risk of our rats contracting viruses and diseases. For this reason, we do not accept rescues or outside animals of any kind, for any reason. Should we decide to adopt from another breeder to expand our lines and stock, we will only adopt from ratteries and breeders that have had updated serology panels performed and are cleared of all actionable viruses.
At this time, the only additional items we supply are in-house made rat harnesses. These can be purchased with your rat, or separately and can be viewed on our "Adopt Now" page under "Products".
If you have additional care questions after adoption, please note that we have an education center on this website which should answer most, if not all, of your husbandry and behavioral questions. Please take the time to look through our articles prior to contacting us for help.
We receive multiple emails a day and it can be hard to respond to everyone in a timely manner. By referring you to our education center, this helps answer all questions more quickly as well as provide resources. If you have questions that are not answered in our articles, of course feel free to reach out at any time and we will respond as soon as we can.
We do sell to breeders, however we do not support back yard breeders of any kind, nor those who have a poor standing within the community for any reason. As such, if you are a breeder who would like to work with our stock, the following requirements must be met.
1. You must have an established Rattery with mostly positive reviews, as we do not sell to breeders who do not have an official Facebook page or website. This is to avoid supplying to unethical, or backyard, breeders. Our first priory is the safety and ethical breeding of our rats, the potential adopters of said breeder, and that the breeders we work with are generally well received by the public.
2. You must be able to provide photos of current set up with proof of current date.
3. You must not be currently black listed from the rat community.
4. You must have current serology panels indicating that your Rattery is free from any viruses or diseases, as we do not condone the practice of untested breeding.
5. You must be willing to fill out a Breeder's Evaluation Form - which will be provided to you after your initial application - to determine your current knowledge and experience with ethical breeding.
6. You must be willing to sign an Ethical Breeders contract at the time of adoption.
7. No discounts or coupons will be honored for those looking to purchase breeding stock.
8. You must have been open and breeding for at least 3 years or we will be unable to supply stock to you. We require proof of meeting this required timeframe.
- One of our main goals is to educate and promote the ethical breeding of rats to better the species. A big part of this is ensuring that breeders have sound, healthy stock to work with. However, due to past issues, we are no longer supplying stock to newly opened or inexperienced breeders. For more information on how to apply for breeder stock, or which varieties we currently offer to breeders, feel free to contact us at any time. We do not ship - or deliver - at this time, so all stock must be picked up from our location. Please note, we reserve full rights to deny breeding stock to anyone, for any reason.
If you feel you meet these requirements, click below to apply for stock.
Copyright © 2021 Whispering Grove Rattery - All Rights Reserved.
Welcome! Please be advised on any and all zoonotic diseases when adopting exotic animals. While we are tested for the major viruses, there are still zoonotic diseases out there like rat bite fever. We will be testing and posting our results publicly for rat bite fever when we have tested. If you would like to proceed with adoption prior to this, Whispering Grove Rattery will not be held liable for any illness or expenses the animals may cause. If you would like more information click “Learn More.”